Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Marlies Craig (nee Tscheuschner)


I attended HMB from 1984 to 1987. Here's a brief run-down of life since then:

After school I spent a year in Germany, partly in Hermannsburg (Germany) at the Volkshochschule there, partly working at a Christian retreat centre in Bavaria, partly travelling and visiting (I have lots of extended family and family friends there). Back in SA I started studying, doing a BSc and Hons in Biology in PMBurg, then moved to Durban to do a Masters at the Medical Research Council, on malaria. I was employed there afterwards and have been there ever since.

In Durban I first stayed in a digs with Heike & co, later in another digs where I met Andrew. We didn't fall in love at first sight, but the lights went on eventually. We started dating during the first democratic elections and got married in 1995 on the day of the vow, at least, the day of reconciliation - another relationship, apart from Carmis, that is as old as the new govenment... Andrew is a chemical engineer specialized in food, born in Scotland but grew up around Durban.

In 2003/4 we spent 10 months in Basel, Switzerland, where I am (still) registered for a PhD. Andrew and had hoped to get his dream job in a swiss chocolate factory. But the common requirement there for engineers (fluent German, French, Italian, English) was just too much, so he played house-husband. We had a lovely time there, learnt vaguely how to ski, loved the snowy mountains, and had great social times with other international students.

Three months ago our life changed radically as we adopted a 3 year old girl, Miriam. She is a delightful little girl, energetic and sweet natured, and we love having her in our lives. But needless to say it is not easy to adjust after all these years of blissful and selfish two-someness.

We enjoy travelling (though clearly not quite as much as Hermann...) and have had some marvellous holidays around SA and further afield. My work has taken me around Africa as well as Asia, Europe and USA, and sometimes we have been able to attach a holiday. We love camping and usually end up going off into the budus somewhere. We are involved in our local church in various ways, and enjoy the fellowship and purpose this affords. We enjoy hiking, birdwatching, movies and reading. I am a serious hobby photographer, and we collect mechanical puzzles.

So much for the past 20 years. I look forward to the reunion - I loved the 10 year one.