Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Holger


I joined the class of 87 in 1985, although I had already represented the school on the rugby field in 1984, against Wartburg, if I remember correctly?

After three years in HMB, I studied marketing and business administration at the University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, I graduated at the end of 1990. Then I worked in Germany (Leipzig & Bremen) and continued my studies through UNISA.

In 1994 my sales career started at Bavaria Breweries, firstly to start their new sales and distribution operation in Durban and later as sales manager at their head office in Centurion. A few months later we moved back to Durban to start my own business Drinksolution. This was more difficult than I ever imagined, but I have gained much by joining the Business Warriors.

During this time I lived with Thomas, Udo Harms and Hermann in the most wonderful apartments on the Umhlanga Beachfront. We spend many mornings on the beach and many nights at the George and Dragon – our local pub.

I also met Brenda Vorwerk during this time and we got married in New Hannover on the 13 September 1997. Brenda was still training as a nursing sister and midwife at Greys Hospital so I had to move to Pmb. As soon as she finished her training we moved to Umdloti Beach, north of Durban. During my stint in GP we stayed on a small holding in Buccleuch, Sandton. This was awesome and we had much space to mountain bike and go for early morning walks.

When we started our business we moved back to Umdloti Beach. We spend many wonderful years there, on the beach, mountain biking in the cane fields and shopping at Gateway. Last year we started looking for a new home and finally moved to Kloof in March this year.


We have a wonderful home with a huge garden where our two girls, Kate – 4, and Jessica – 2, can swing, jump on the trampoline and generally get dirty.













Kate attends the pre-primary at the Deutsche Schule Durban in Cowies Hill.













As you can see I sometimes go fishing, either with flies for natal yellows on our farm, or with my brothers (Heiko, Uwe & Werner) on Jozini or as in the picture on Lake Kariba.













Both Brenda and I are very active members of the New Germany Lutheran Church and regularly serve on the Walk to Emmaus Weekends.


Jessica looking for easter eggs
















We like travelling, been to Singapore, Malaysia, UK, and most recently to Hermann and Rosie's wedding in Scotland.

Brenda and Holger at Drumtochty Castle.



























Grouse Hunting with Holger, Ronald (Jackson), Hermann, Carl, Udo, Herr Kistner & Thomas, in preperation of Hermann and Rosie's wedding.












In the streets of Edinburgh
















My hobbies include mountain biking, reading, travelling and I am currently studying internet marketing.